Your Partner in Pursuit of Workplace Justice Reach Out to Set Up a Free Consultation
Lonely African-American businessman in office

How to Report Unfair Treatment at Work

James S. Brewer Attorney at Law  Oct. 24, 2023

Even something as small as a snide comment from a colleague can make work an agonizing endeavor. Thanks to employment laws and regulations, employers are not allowed to discriminate against employees based on certain characteristics—if someone has crossed the line with their behavior, you have the right to explore your options for protecting your safety and well-being at work.  

When faced with a difficult situation, it can be tempting to keep your head down and hope it resolves itself. However, seeking an internal resolution can often be the most effective path forward. A reputable employer should have a clear policy in place for dealing with employee complaints. This could involve speaking to your immediate supervisor, or taking your concern to a higher level such as HR.  

Unfortunately, these routes may be inaccessible. Perhaps your supervisor is the culprit of your unfair treatment. Or you've tried raising your concerns and they keep getting dismissed. When you don't know where to turn, know that you can turn to my firm for guidance.  

As an employment law attorney at James S. Brewer Attorney at Law, I've dedicated my career to seeing that employee rights are upheld and respected. If you're experiencing unfair treatment at work—be it discrimination, harassment, retaliation or any other abuse—it's crucial to know how to report it effectively. This article will walk you through the steps to take, from exploring internal resolution options to filing a complaint with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO) and United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). If you need any legal assistance, please contact my firm in Hartford, Connecticut. I represent people throughout New Haven and Bridgeport.  

How to Report Unfair Workplace Treatment

The workplace is a dynamic environment where employees' and employers' rights and obligations are constantly evolving. Workplace discrimination should never be tolerated. By having a clear understanding of employment law and how to report unfair treatment, you can protect yourself and help promote a safer, more productive work environment. 

Explore Internal Resolution Options 

Before considering legal action, I'd advise you to explore your company's internal resolution options:  

  1. Start by familiarizing yourself with your workplace policies—they'll provide a roadmap for reporting unfair treatment.  

  1. If you're comfortable, discuss your concerns with a supervisor or manager. They may be able to resolve the issue informally or guide you through the formal complaint process.  

  1. In some cases, mediation between you and the person you're having issues with could also be an option.  

By knowing the steps your employer takes to address complaints of unfair treatment, you can feel more secure in your work environment and trust that your concerns will be taken seriously. If these discussions don't yield satisfactory results, proceed to your company's formal complaint procedures, which might involve submitting a written complaint to human resources. 

Hire an Employment Law Attorney 

When internal resolution options fall short, or if you believe your rights have been violated, it may be time to seek legal representation.  

Hiring an employment law attorney can provide valuable guidance. My practice focuses on workplace issues, and I am well-versed in laws and regulations that protect employee rights. I can assess your situation, determine if any laws have been violated, and advise on the best course of action. As your representative, I will develop a legal strategy tailored to your case, negotiate on your behalf, and advocate for your best interests throughout the process. 

Gather Information 

Unfair treatment at work can leave you feeling powerless and demotivated. Documenting the specifics of your experiences is very important because your records can serve as evidence to support your case. Here are some of my suggestions for recording and gathering information:  

  • Keep a record of incidents, including dates, times, locations, and individuals involved.  

  • Save any related emails, text messages, or other written communication. Identify any witnesses who can corroborate your claims.  

  • Obtain copies of your company's policies related to discrimination, harassment, and complaint resolution.  

These records can also help you understand what triggers the mistreatment so that you can take preventive measures. In addition, keeping a log can provide a sense of control, as it allows you to objectively analyze the situation and take action accordingly.  

Decide How to File 

After collecting all the necessary information, you'll need to decide how to file your complaint. If you haven't already done so, you could follow your company's formal complaint procedures. If your employer fails to address the issue or if you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunites (CHRO) and United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which investigates claims of workplace discrimination and harassment.  In Connecticut, when you file with the CHRO It is important to remember that there are relatively short filing deadlines for discrimination claims. Both the CHRO) and EEOC require complaints be made no later than 300 days from the date of the discriminatory act (for example sexual harassment, suspension or termination). If you want to sue an employer in court you first have to "exhaust" this administrative process or your case will be dismissed. So pay attention to dates if you want to file a claim.

Investigation Process

You can file a complaint with your employer who is obligated to investigate. If you are not content with the outcome of that internal complaint you should probably consult with an attorney. On your own or with an attorney you can file a discrimination complaint with the CHRO EEOC who will investigate. CHRO will assign investigator who will hold an initial conference with you, and require information from your employer, and any relevant parties. This is an administrative process and not a court case. CHRO conducts interviews with witnesses, review relevant records to determine if your employer has violated the Connecticut Fair Employment Practices Act, and if so will order corrective actions and compensation.

Fearless Advocacy for Employees

Don't let unfair treatment at work go unaddressed. As your employment law attorney, I can help you navigate the process of reporting such treatment, ensuring your rights are upheld and obtaining just compensation for any personal or financial injury you incur as a result of an employers misconduct. Remember, everyone deserves a fair and respectful workplace free from discrimination, retaliation and abuse. If you're facing workplace discrimination, harassment, retaliation or abuse, contact my firm, James S. Brewer Attorney at Law— I'm committed to protecting your rights at work. 

If you have any concerns regarding anything discussed in this blog post, please feel free to reach out to my law firm in Hartford, Connecticut. I am here to support and assist you every step of the w.